Welcome to the new year! I pray it will be a good year for all of us and that we will be able to move closer to our goals with ease. It is pretty much everybody’s norm that when the year starts we take a look into our lives, you know, a little introspection, and we start to analyse everything just to see where we are headed and how we are going to get there. We analyse where we have lacked, what has been our weakness or strength and so on.
So, if you are one of the people who practice this yearly i would like to really clap for you because it shows that you really take yourself seriously and you put an effort into developing yourself.
It is not always easy to follow through our plans though. At times we carry on just for a few months with all the confidence and strength and then give up in the middle of the year. We tend to get so discouraged and we end up losing hope thereby abandoning the things we set out to do in the beginning.
Lets take a look at some of the things that put us down and kill our zeal. I hope this will help you shape up things for this year! I am excited for you.
- Procrastination- this has got be the major problem for most people. we just keep delaying and postponing things until we realised time has passed. I know some people work better under pressure but with procrastination no job ends up being done completely. Some people put off tasks because of fear of failure or even fear of success, but in either case they are very concerned with what others think of them. So to curb this one needs to first of all be aware that they are procrastinating and practice high level of self control and discipline.
- Self doubt- Doubting yourself does not just pop into your head overnight. It is belief that one entertains long enough for them to actually start thinking its true. it is a mindset issue. It breeds low confidence and makes one to shy away from opportunities. Self doubt can be killed by firstly getting rid of all negative thoughts about oneself. Everybody has the potential to become their very best and to uniquely achieve their goals. invest in books that will teach you how to think positively and get rid of negative mindset.
- No planning- We cannot afford to live life haphazardly, life is not a game. When it is said that we should take things one day at a time it was not meant that we should just fold our arms and watch things unfold! We all need to have a plan. This plan can be broken down into quarterly and monthly goals so that it does not overwhelm you. Planning things will helm eliminate distractions and keep you on track of what you do.
- Announcing plans before they materialise- It is okay to share your most valued information to close family and friends but this has to be done with caution because sometime people may not understand the vision the way you do. People may end up discouraging you or derailing you from your original plan just because you shared the information just a little early. It is advisable that when you have a plan you write it down so it makes sense to you. Then break it down and brainstorm on all the steps you will have to take to reach that goal. Let people in when the real work starts to show. better yet, let your results announce you!
- Comparison- No two people are entirely the same, not even identical twins. everyone is unique and so are our ideas. Our creativity can distinguish us from the rest of the world, so comparing ourselves to other people is one thing that can slow us down and even kill our motivation to carry on. One man’s failure doe not mean you will also fail. Rather let us use other people’s experiences as learning curves for ourselves. stay focused in what you do and do not let distractions derail you.
There, I hope that was helpful and would like to hear from you. What are the things that have kept you back over the years? Please do share.