Growing up I had always thought being a wife and caring for a home is very simple that it comes naturally to a woman. So after I got married over five years back I laid back and expected things to just fall in place. That is just how naive I was. Today I know that homemaking is a full time job and that it requires one’s full attention and energy. Homemaking is a ministry for every woman and wife, one that if neglected can ruin the lives of the family members involved.
So, in this blog post I share just how much i learnt about home making and the qualities I had to cultivate to successfully run my home.
I count it a privilege that as a woman I have a home and family and I know that it is a blessing from God, so I look up to Him daily for strength and wisdom because over the years I have learned that I can not do anything without His help.
Proverbs 24:3-4 says wisdom builds your home, understanding establishes it, and “by knowledge the rooms are filled” with “precious and pleasant riches.” You gain wisdom, understanding, and knowledge by reading and studying the Word of God.
A home is more than just the building where you and your family lives. It is also the atmosphere or feeling that your family member carry everywhere. That emotion that makes them to look forward to getting back to the house. God entrusted women with duties of making a home and caring for the family. I believe He has deposited something in women that qualifies the to carry this beautiful responsibility.
Proverbs 31:27 says a godly wife “watches over the ways of her household, and does not eat the bread of idleness.” She’s a dedicated and hardworking woman who tends her garden with care. A modern Christian wife follows in her footsteps.
How a home is run can either make or break the people in it. This means that it takes deliberate action towards executing everything that will help you to effortlessly run your home. There will be challenges here and there but it will all fall into place as long as you do things according to how the word of God says. God never fails remember?
Here are a few tips that help me and I believe they will also help you in your Homemaking ministry..
Love what you do
- Firstly, you need to fall in love with everything that comes as a responsibility for you. Accept the things that you have to do without comparing yourself with another person or your spouse. Fall in love with cooking, cleaning, caring for the kids if that is what you have to do. Once you Love what you do, then you will see that it is now enjoyable when doing it and it will bring joy to you when you accomplish those duties.
- Paying attention to your home is and family members is a very vital quality. if exercised daily it can save you a lot of time and energy. There are so many distractions around us and most women and wive work full time jobs, but we still have to try our best to focus on the happenings around our homes. Paying attention includes listening without interpreting, showing interest in every conversation or play, noticing the smallest changes in the house or with the kids behavior, being present when your spouse needs your help, knowing where to find things around the house, the list is long, but I supposed you get the idea.
Manage time well
- Time management is a bit of a challenge especially since most women have jobs. It is still important that we manage our time well and have a schedule for some of the things done in the home. Remember that what we do in the home also contributes to the molding of our children. create time for playing with the kids and create time for your spouse as well and everybody should know just how to respect each other’s time.
Put your foot down, but kill the fun
- Every family has a set of rules that every member has to abide by. have a set of rules that will help you run the home and do not compromise easily. Let the other members help you with some chores, have the kids sleep at the same time on weekdays for example, anything that works for all of you. the rules have to be respected.
- Hospitality is very crucial for every woman and wife. A home is supposed to be welcoming to visitors. How you receive and treat people in your home says a lot about your family. Its a skill that the whole family needs to lean intensively because children can embarrass you in the presence of visitors so they need to be let in on what exactly they are supposed to do when visitors come in.
Be clean Always
- It is said that cleanliness is next to Godliness! A clean home is very attractive and safe but an unkept home is unsafe and emanates negative energy. Learn to keep things in order and get rid of staff that you do not use or need-that is, avoid clutter! teach your children to stay clean as well.
Be spontaneous and keep learning
- There is a lot that is involve in homemaking and it is a personal responsibility for every woman to make time for learning new things all the time. Learn new recipes, new games, home decorations just to mention a few. Stay unpredictable and you will see just how you become the number one mother and wife
Hope these will help you track where you are. there is a lot to it I just can not put it all in one post. Thank you for reading.
In my next blog post o will write on the different areas that need your attention in the home as a homemaker. look out for it